What It Means
to be better together
Fighting cancer on all fronts requires the strongest of partnerships: whether it’s between family members, patients and caregivers, or providers.
We realized early on that what we needed was a strong partnership at the root of the Cancer Care Center itself. Building on the solid foundation for quality cancer care delivered by a multidisciplinary team, CarolinaEast Health System chose to take its cancer care to the next level through collaboration with UNC Health Care.
Established in 1975, UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center is in the top tier of nationally-recognized comprehensive cancer centers, one of only 41 designated by the National Cancer Institute. UNC Health Care combines the research strength of UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center with patient-centered care.
UNC Cancer Care is ranked in the top 10 institutions nationally in cancer research funding and given an Exceptional rating by the National Cancer Institute in its last comprehensive review – the institute’s highest ranking. It is also home to internationally-recognized research programs, including a SPORE (Special Projects of Research Excellence) program for breast cancer.
Through the combined efforts of CarolinaEast and UNC Health Care, our Cancer Center will care for our patients’ needs through the latest advances in prevention, detection, and treatment available in academic research/treatment settings.
Right here. At home.
Types of Prevention and Early Detection Programs:
- Breast Cancer – mammography screening program
- Cervical Cancer – pap and HPV testing
- Colorectal Cancer – colonoscopy screening program
- Prostate Cancer – PSA screening
- Lung Cancer – low-dose CT scans with follow up
- Skin Cancer – annual screening and patient education
Enhanced cancer treatment:
- Comprehensive breast care program with accreditation by the National Accreditation Program (American College of Surgeons) as a Comprehensive Breast Center.
- Gynecological cancer program with focus on the treatment of cervical, uterine, ovarian and other gynecological cancers.
- Cancer genetics program for patients interested in exploring genetic risks of cancer to identify interventions before cancer is diagnosed.
- Access to trials offered through UNC Lineberger including early detection/screening trials, diagnostic trials, quality-of-life/supportive care trials, treatment trials and prevention trials.
- Collaboration with nationally recognized UNC Health Care researchers for clinical trials offering the most promising treatment options for our patients.
- Survivorship navigators, to provide care plans
- Nutrition support and teaching
- Psychological counseling services and support groups
- Healthy lifestyle programs, such as exercise for the oncology patient/survivor, yoga, relaxation, meditation, etc.
- Spiritual support program
- Residual symptom management and transition to routine care in coordination with primary care physician
The Cancer Center will be physically connected to CarolinaEast Medical Center, providing easy access for patients and medical staff. It will offer a multidisciplinary approach to cancer care featuring onsite imaging, laboratory services, infusion and radiation therapies, pharmacy, exam rooms, nutrition counseling areas, image center boutique, education spaces, and a chapel.
But, most importantly, the Center will be a warm, nurturing space that welcomes natural light and beauty, creating a feeling of hope.
“We want to create a space that doesn’t feel white and sterile,” said Ray Leggett, President/CEO of CarolinaEast Health System.
“No one wants to journey across cancer’s path, but if you have to, we want to provide the warmest, most hope-filled environment possible. We want your journey to be just down the road – close to home.”
- Radiation Oncology Clinic
- Radiation Oncology Treatment Areas
- Patient Navigator Offices
- Nutrition Services
- Visiting Physician Clinic Space
- Infusion Suite
- Specialty Pharmacy
- Image Center Boutique
- Teaching Kitchen
- Community Rooms
- Support/Counseling Group Rooms
- Social Work Offices
- Psychological, Provider, Chaplain & Genetic Counseling Support Offices
- Medical Oncology Clinic
- Infusion Suite
- Chemotherapy Mixing Pharmacy
- Cancer Center Administration
- AHEC Education Department